Monday, September 29, 2008

An Emotionally Captivating Argument

I read the article "I have a great life" just recently. It was written by Colleen Mastony ( a tribune reporter) and I found it in the Chicago Tribune. It was focused on the life of a young girl with Down Syndrome and through learning about the girl's life and happiness, Mastony discussed a very controversial topic: parents and their choices to keep or terminate a fetus with Down Syndrome. In her writing, Mastony argues that doctors need to portray Down Syndrome to parents in a better way. She argues that parents who chose to kill their unborn Down Syndrome baby, are killing all of the potential that the child has. She believes that children and families that are effected by the disease will still be able to live a full and happy life. I believe that this argument did open my eyes to something that is very unknown to me, personally. This argument was very heavily pathos and that, in a way, gives it much more strength then just any other argument. Mastony used pictures and quotes from the girl with Down Syndrome that she focused on with gave allowed myself, as the reader, the ability to feel like I could connect to the argument. I felt like I knew the girl with Down Syndrome which made it difficult for me to read the article and then not agree completely with Mastony. Her argument is valid and logical and it is a relevant issue. The way the writer expresses her argument is persuasive in the way that it makes me want to take action. She was able to give the counter-argument and still keep her argument dominant. I think that in giving a pathos argument and supporting it with real life information, it is almost impossible for the argument to be unsuccessful.

No comments: