Sunday, October 19, 2008

Idealism in the Limelight

Pragmatist or idealist?

When seeing these two words in correspondance with each other, my mind places a halo above the word "idealist", and a pair of devil's horns above the word "pragmatic". Why? I am unexplainably draw to the idea of being an idealist and where this habit originated from, I could not tell you. In evaluating my own personality, opinions, ideas, and actions, I admit to the world that I AM A PRAGMATIST! There, I said it. But why do I feel so guilty? I feel as if I am admitting to terroristic acts, or criminality. I am not an idealist and I never will be. But there is something so free and beautiful about idealism; it draws me in. Why is it that pragmatism has been swept under the carpet and picked from everyone's garden like a weed? How can we put idealism in the spotlight and ignore the issues that our world is dealing with? We cannot keep looking past our problems with idealistic views, in search of a world that we cannot even find. I do not doubt the possibility of something beyond the life that we are living but putting our focus on that is not helping our lives go any smoother. Our society has idealism on the throne and it is, clearly, not working. Our economy is failing and we need to wake up and smell the coffee! I think that if pragmatism can become more predominant, then our persuit for happiness can be more successfull.

I guess that this, alone, is a pragmatic piece of writting. My guilt remains stagnant.

No comments: